Medical Tourism FAQ
What is Medical Tourism?
Medical Tourism refers to individuals traveling abroad to receive medical care. The choice is usually driven by the availability of world class doctors at superior prices compared to most domestic alternatives.
Are there risks associated with traveling abroad for my surgical procedure?GME recognizes that there are risks attached to traveling for medical reasons. To address these risks associated with surgery abroad, GME has taken the following measures:
- Travel: Unexpected costs such as illness and lost belongings can happen when traveling. GME helps purchase travel insurance for all patients to cover these risks. If it is determined that the patient cannot afford the insurance, GME will pay its total cost.
- Medical Caring: GME has a Care Manager assigned to every patient so you are not left alone in a foreign country. This manager will arrange all transportation that is medically-related, track the progress of the patient in the medical portion of the trip reporting regularly to GME headquarters on his/her progress, and attend to their legitimate needs and of the person(s) accompanying the patient.
- Language and Cultural: All of GME's associates speak fluent English. Patients will receive a briefing on the country of destination.
- Quality: GME's exclusive use of JCI-accredited hospitals (the highest international accreditation a hospital can receive), and with U.S. Board Certified surgeons or their strict equivalent.
- Complications: GME has partnered with carefully selected clinics in the U.S. for follow-up care and for resolving any post-operative complications.
- Surgery Delay: GME ensures that no patient is sent overseas before every detail, including a firm date for the surgery, is determined.
How does GME assure the quality of both the doctor and the facilities?All GME affiliated doctors are screened extensively, and GME is affiliated only with doctors at the top of their respective fields. All affiliated doctors are U.S. Board Certified, or hold international equivalents. You can browse though some of our affiliated doctors, and view some of their credentials on the doctor's webpage.
All GME-affiliated hospitals are JCI-accredited facilities. JCI (Joint Commission International) is a non-profit organization that evaluates and accredits only the finest hospitals around the world.